Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Victoria, Gozo, Malta

A traditional pastry of Malta is pastizzi, an almond shaped puff pastry wrapping either ricotta cheese or mushy peas.  Since it would take a professional staff from an insane asylum to restrain me enough to force me to eat peas I have been having the ricotta variety.  They are tasty, but you don’t have to visit Malta to know what they taste like.  They taste like ricotta and puff pastry.  I also had an espresso lungo, which is a bit shocking for me.  I don’t know the difference between an espresso and an espresso lungo even though I asked the waitress.  I have a knack for eliciting confusing expressions from the restaurant workers here for asking silly questions about the food and drink they serve.  It has happened at least three times already.


Our last meal on Gozo was my best (but not Tom’s).  Ta’ Rikardu, named after the owner, sits inside the old fortified city Cittadella in the heart of Victoria.  We started with a really good local beer, a white ale made by Lord Chamblay.  The British brought beer to the island in the late 1700s and this brewery is on par with a good microbrewery in the U.S.  Lunch was goat cooked in white wine with potatoes seasoned with anise and fennel seed.  The downside of goat is picking around the bones but that also gives the meat its flavor so it is worth it.





No comments:

Post a Comment